Here's a challenge for you - can you let go of this long-held belief of "go big or go home" and replace it with a new perspective of "go BITESIZE - and COME home"?
First lets look at WHY? And then we'll show you HOW!
Because "bitesize" breathing techniques can literally change the chemistry in your body and boost your energy - in less than the time it takes to make a coffee. We all feel time-poor - but we can make it count!
Just 60 seconds of deep, conscious breathing can have a profound impact on our emotional, physical and cognitive state.
We live in a stressful, fast-paced world, and taking just 60 seconds to come back to your centre, or find your balance again can ripple on throughout your day.
Use the "4 Ps" to get you motivated for a mindful minute a day
If you're new to using breathwork as a form of mindfulness or meditation - or just a bit unsure about the impact - try thinking of the benefits as the 4 Ps:
- The first stepping stone to feeling calmer and avoiding burnout is using the sensations of your breath to find PRESENCE in the moment and raise awareness. Think of your breath as radio frequency - and you're just taking a moment to pause and actively listen - to what your body is telling you.
- Find inner PEACE - literally! Your body and brain chemically relaxes as you activate the parasympathetic nervous system with a gentle rhythm of breathing, in as little as 60 seconds. Slowing down the exhale is the key signal to the nervous system that you are safe, and don't need to be in "flight or fight mode" anymore - you can rest for a moment.
- Get a fresh PERSPECTIVE by tuning down stress and the constant buzz in the brain so you can focus on what you really need to. We have over 35,000 thoughts a day (!) so allowing yourself a minutes grace to see them, then sort them is actually efficiency!
- Take back your POWER by feeling in control as you regulate the rate and rhythm of your breath and benefit from the physiological and emotional release of a minutes pause.
Try this simple breathing technique using your hand as a visual cue - that guides you to take 5 DEEP breaths in a minute - which research has shown is the ideal frequency for a calm, regulated state in the body.
- Breath IN through the nose as you trace up the fingers (start at the base of the thumb)
- Breathe deep into the belly using the diaphragm (no shallow chest breathing please!)
- Pause for 2 seconds at the top of the finger
- Breathe out through nose or mouth (sometimes it's helpful to "sigh" on the exhale!), as you trace down your finger
- Keep a slow, gentle rhythm
- Close your eyes if you can and focus on the sound and sensations of your breath
- Be CURIOUS -v- JUDGMENTAL
Thoughts will come and go - just try to replace any judgement or criticism you hear in your mind with curiosity... just notice...and then after you're refreshed you can decide what to let go of, and what to focus on with more clarity.
I often do this with my children -as they can easily engage with the visual of using their hand.
So try it today!
"Take a deep breath, and bring your mind back home to your body"
📲 Add a reminder for your daily mindful minute - when will it help you the most? Mine (Neha) is before the school run!
We'd love to know how you get on!
Neha & Tina xxx
p.s. Why not share this with a friend who needs it most?